Research indicates that building one’s brand (personal or business) is NOT about telling everyone WHAT we do or how great we are . . . but rather about telling a story which paints a picture of WHY we do what we do. Kind of like seeing ourselves as entrepreneurial SUPER-heroes . . .
Be willing to build a SUPER Brand.
Sharing stories about how your work contributes to helping people or contributes to a broader movement creates connections and embeds you and your brand in the mind of those you meet. It’s how you build your SUPER Brand.
FOR EXAMPLE: Let’s say you are a bricklayer. Someone asks you what you do. You have three possible answers to this question:
- I lay bricks in a row.
- I stack bricks with mortar to build walls.
- I’m building a school so our children learn to love learning. (HINT: this one makes you a SUPERHERO!)
Who wants to hear more about STORY #3?! . . . this option will spark interest and lead to more conversation!
Share Your SUPER Story.
Sharing a SUPER story builds stronger relationships. When you have strong relationships with people (family, friends, clients, prospects, etc.), they are more likely to share their G.I.F.T.S.:
- Give you the benefit of the doubt
- Introduce you to their friends
- Forgive you for your faults
- Trust and value you and what you offer
- Send referrals your way
When we connect our functional duties with a larger vision, we work with a greater sense of purpose and energy, and attract more interest . . . and more new business.
Stories build the foundation of our lives . . .
- If you are the best man at your brother’s wedding, you better have a story or two in your pocket to share during the toast.
- If you are giving a keynote at the local Chamber luncheon, you’ll want a local community success story to share.
- If you are writing a non-fiction book to highlight your expertise, you’ll want to use the power of storytelling to make your points and offer a real-life connection for the reader.
- If you are writing a children’s book or novel, the entire book IS the story.
- If you are providing copy for your website or e-news, prove your point by adding in a SUPER story.
SHARE IT AND THEY WILL RESPOND.
So the next time you find yourself in a conversation, and you’re asked, “What do you do?” . . . avoid the redundant WHAT and share your story around the WHO and the WHY . . . emphasizing the SUPER RELIEF you offer.
Stories create relationships and relationships help brands thrive.
If you are ready to tell your story, make an impact, and transform lives, we can help.
Send me an email and let’s schedule a time to talk about branding and publishing.
(. . . and remember to pick up your SUPER SUIT from the dry cleaners!)