In 2018, Bowker (the US registrar for all ISBN numbers) assigned a record-breaking 1,009,188 ISBNs to independent and self-published books. This number does not even include the books which are published by traditional publishing houses, NOR does it include the ISBNs assigned by Amazon/KDP (formerly CreateSpace).
Look Good. Get Noticed. Stand Out in a Crowd.
If you are in business for yourself, you know how important it is to look good, get noticed, and stand out in a crowd (in a good way). And, yes, writing a book can help you accomplish each of these three goals if you understand WHY you are writing your book.
Five GREAT reasons FOR writing a book:
- “I think it would help other people.”
- “I want to establish myself as an authority in this subject, and raise my visibility.”
- “I am starting a business around this topic and want to generate interest and clients.”
- “I really care about this and want to get the word out to other people.”
- “I want to switch careers and this will help me.”
So, allow me to repeat what I’ve said numerous times in the past . . .
It’s not about how well your book sells,
it’s all about how well your book sells YOU!TM
Please don’t plan your retirement around the sale of your books. If your primary reason for writing a book includes any of the following, you may want to rethink your plan . . .
Five GREAT reasons to NOT write a book:
- “I want to sell millions of books and make lots of money.”
- “I want to be a famous, best-selling author.”
- “I want to live a writer’s life, in a bungalow, on a beach in Key West.”
- “I don’t care what anyone thinks, I just feel compelled to write this book, NOW.”
- “My competition has a book and I don’t want them to get all the business.”
Don’t let those other 1,009,188 authors intimidate you.
Every author-wannabe is just like the other 1,009,188 independent authors trying to look good, get noticed, and stand out in a crowd.
The best way to make that happen (and not get lost in the crowd) is to work with professionals who publish books on a daily basis. We know what it takes to help your book SELL YOU, and position you with the expert status you deserve.