The topic-at-hand with Independent- and Self-Publishing for the last few weeks has centered around the transition from CreateSpace to KDP. Lots of information swirling around . . . SO MUCH that our clients are telling us they are confused about where to start.
WE CAN HELP!
If you are a past, current, or soon-to-be publishing client of ours, we are HERE TO HELP move your books from CreateSpace to KDP . . . AT NO COST TO YOU.
Simply CLICK THIS LINK to download your FREE instructions!
If you are still confused, give us a call, 888-598-0886.
We create brands and publish books which connect people, awaken humanity, and transform the lives of the people we reach.
To learn more about how our Branding and Publishing programs help you grow your business and better position you as the EXPERT that you are, give us call, 888-598-0886.
To schedule a MAXIMUM IMPACT phone call with Cathy, access her calendar here.
It was a simple question coming out of the mouth of a very frustrated Mom as she watched her 4-year-old hop-and-skip-and-dance around the other shoppers waiting in line to check out. Mom wanted her to settle down and behave . . . you know . . . “get in line” . . . look “well-trained.”
What the Mom missed seeing was the look of joy and delight on the faces of the rest of us waiting in line. We saw a lovely child learning to express herself, in full-out JOY. We were being entertained by a joyful expression of life. We were being reminded to take a pause and JUST HAVE SOME FUN. I did not see one face appear bothered by the dancing (other than the Mom).
The scenario could just have easily gone in the opposite direction with a screaming child, expressing full-out frustration, throwing a complete melt-down fit. Anyone who is a parent knows THAT routine.
SO . . . it got me to thinking . . . What on Earth AM I Doing?
Or perhaps I could be asking, “What on Earth am I BEING?”
How am I expressing my time here on Earth?
Am I having more JOYFUL or more MELT-DOWN moments?
Am I sharing JOY or FRUSTRATION?
I have to admit, I spend a lot of time working. Although I love what I do, and I love helping others find ways to express THEIR joy, I could probably use a few more checkmarks in my FUN column. Standing in line that day, I was reminded to go have some fun.
SO . . . What on Earth Are You doing?
How do YOU express and share your joy, your passion?
Our clients hire us to help them acknowledge their PASSION, align their PURPOSE and attract more PROFITS.
If you are ready to monetize your passion, give me a call (888-598-0886). We can make that happen.
If your book is on Amazon, you may have received the notices this week from Create Space about their transition with KDP and how it affects your book(s). If you have not yet read those emails, please find them and read them.
If you have not yet received any emails from CreateSpace about your books, you WILL, eventually. They are rolling out these changes so as to not overload their transfer system (the roll-out is not necessarily working very well).
In short, the CreateSpace world is going away, and all of your books will be transferring to KDP Print. KDP is a division of Amazon, and a few things will be changing. It’s not bad . . . just different (and a bit confusing).
Needless to say, things have gotten a bit crazy in the independent publishing arena, and we are having sporadic issues uploading ANY files into their system this week. Every mother and her 3rd and 4th brothers are rushing onto their CreateSpace Dashboard, causing their entire system to shut down. Our “code phrase” has become “expect additional delays.”
A few things to keep in mind:
- We are in-process of moving our own published books into the new system this week. This will allow us to personally walk through the experience and familiarize ourselves with any potential hiccups or shortcuts.
- We will keep you apprised of the process in our weekly e-news, which typically posts on Wednesdays.
- If you are an author/client of ours, and your book is currently in-process with us, we will automatically take care of this transfer for you.
- WE ARE HERE IF YOU NEED HELP. If you are not a client, or do not currently have a book in-process with us, we can still help. If you decide you want to hire us to guide you through this new process, please reach out to Cathy.
Here are two very good articles which may help you keep up with all of the changes (both include input from Amy Collins, whom we will be interviewing during our September 27th webcast — register HERE):
We are here to keep you informed and to
help make this transition easier for you.
You know that feeling . . . when a song gets stuck in your head in a perpetual loop?
I don’t even recall where I would have heard this song recently, but there it was . . . straight from Mary Poppins!
Oh, oh, oh!
Let’s go fly a K.I.T.E.
Up to the highest height
Let’s go fly a K.I.T.E. and send it soaring
Up through the atmosphere
Up where the air is clear
Oh, let’s go fly a K.I.T.E.!
- K = KNOWING. That inner feeling I get when I absolutely, positively KNOW I need/want to be doing “XYZ”.
- I = INTENTION. When I set my INTENTION, based upon my KNOWING, I move into ACCEPTANCE and AGREEMENT. When I set my INTENTION to move in a particular direction, it causes all other worldly forces to respond in kind.
- T = TRUST. This is a BIG ONE for me. It means I have to acknowledge my human-ness and learn to TRUST that a higher power is paving a path for me. My only job is to LET GO and follow the breadcrumbs . . .
- E = EXCITEMENT! It took me several decades to figure out it’s OK to show a bit of positive EXCITEMENT. The Universe responds to EXCITEMENT in a good way. How else does it know what I want? EXCITEMENT becomes the fuel for navigating the path . . . the more excited I am about my goals and ambitions, the faster the process seems to go! EXCITEMENT also allows me to release the outcome and let the Universe handle the details.
At Davis Creative, we create brands and publish books which connect people, awaken humanity, and make a positive impact on the lives of the people they reach. Contact Cathy to learn more.
Congratulations to our author client, Stephanie Paasch, for completing her first book in the Sparklepants Series!
“Sparklepants: Moving Day” is a fun-packed children’s picture book featuring Ellie Marie, Sparklepants (a VERY SPECIAL puppy), her Mommy, Daddy, brother Remmington and sister Alyssa on their big moving day adventure. This is the first time that Ellie Marie and Sparklepants have ever moved! It is exciting and a little bit scary too.
“Sparklepants: Moving Day” is the story about the day Ellie Marie, her puppy Sparklepants, and the whole family moved from the only house she had known as home. They learn what a Realtor is and that moving is a real adventure! Ellie Marie also learns that anyplace can feel like home when you are surrounded by people and a super special puppy who love you!
Ellie Marie’s Mommy and Daddy both have a few surprises in store to make the move as easy as possible. The super cool new bedroom that Ellie Marie gets to share with Sparklepants, the beautiful back yard and a dream house help make the move a bit easier! The Adventures of Sparklepants series is perfect for you if you enjoy going on adventures, arts and crafts, learning new words, playing dress-up, having tea parties!
If you are in the St. Louis metro area, you can find Stephanie and “Sparklepants: Moving Day” at these events:
Saturday, August 25, 10am – 5pm, The Arts & Literary Fest, Foundry Art Centre, 520 N. Main Center, St. Charles, MO 63301. Come see local Authors (including Stephanie) at the St Charles County Arts & Literary Fest at the Foundry. Free event!! Daniel Tiger will be there!
- Saturday, September 15 at 11am – 12pm, Paint a Puppy and Meet the Author! Naturally Designed, LLC Fired Arts and Canvas, 461 Main Street, Troy, MO 63379. Each RSVP will include an autographed paperback copy of “Sparklepants: Moving Day” and a puppy to paint! If you haven’t been in Naturally Designed yet, you are missing out! Perfect opportunity to support both a local business and a local author! Please call 636-775-9006 to RSVP. Seating is limited so reserve your space today!
Be watching for upcoming adventures with Ellie Marie and Sparklepants!
To follow Stephanie and Sparklepants, you can connect with her on Facebook here.
You can purchase “Sparklepants: Moving Day” HERE.
If you, too, are a children’s book author (or you know someone who is), and would like to learn more about we help authors publish their books, reach out to Cathy@davisCreative.com for more info.
You can also join us for our FREE monthly Lunch & Learn, the “Author Brand Connection”. Register HERE, in advance, to receive the ZOOM link for August 23rd!
January 2019 will be the 15th Anniversary of Davis Creative.
I’d love to be able to say it has all been “smooth sailing,” but as with any growing business, we’ve celebrated our “ups” and learned from our “downs”!
Looking back over the last decade-and-a-half, I’ve learned 3 key strategies for thriving . . .
- ALIGN your own job description with what you do best; delegate tasks you avoid doing. Things will get done faster and more accurately by people who enjoy doing all those things you avoid.
- ASK professionals when you have no clue what your next-best-step needs to be. Identify key team members, including a lawyer, accountant, virtual assistant and business coach . . . and learn to rely upon them to help you.
- AVOID Drama Llamas. Over the years, I’ve had to learn how to “fire” a few clients. It becomes apparent that we are just not a good fit, and no matter how hard we try to make it work, no one will be happy in the end. As I’ve acquired more practice, I’ve gotten better at spotting them BEFORE they become a client. My intuition usually nudges me during the initial discovery phase, and NOW, before the discomfort and drama starts to unfold, I can more easily side-step the Llamas before they pull me into their dramas.
Yes, we’ve learned a lot in 15 years.
Additionally, we . . .
- do what we love
- work with clients who love what THEY do
- have fun
- stretch our comfort zone on a daily basis
- trust our intuition
- work long days and long weeks when the work is flowing in; we take breaks when it’s not
- ALWAYS take a nap or a few days off to recharge our energy, as needed
SO, IF YOU ARE ALSO INTO HAVING FUN AND WOULD LIKE TO PLAY IN OUR SANDBOX, GIVE ME A CALL: 888-598-0886
We create brands and publish books which connect people, awaken humanity, and make a positive impact on the lives of the people they reach.
The grand-bubs stopped by for a few hours last week while Mom ran some errands. Ages 6.5 and 4 years, they are still not too sure about our super-wiggly, hyper-active new puppy who wants to lick their faces and jump all over them.
Having a 4-month-old puppy around is a new experience for them. They have a dog, but he is actually more like their older, “big brother” who was in the family before they ever arrived. Their dog is much more mellow and has learned to get out of their way and go snooze in another room.
At first, Mr. N (the 4 year old) was afraid of our puppy, Chewy. After all, his name IS “Chewy!” So, we hid safely under a blanket and let Chewy jump on us both and try to find his way into our “security blanket.” Giggles and laughter ensued, and what used to be a frightening experience soon turned into a great game of hide-and-seek.
When was the last time YOU did something for the very first time?
Our clients hire us to help them take a lot of “first steps” into new experiences. They trust us to help them navigate what can sometimes seems like the unknown territory of professional branding and independent self-publishing. Taking on the role of the “security blanket,” we turn what appears to be overwhelming and scary into easy step-by-step processes.
Ready to take the leap into a positive, new branding experience? . . . give me a call.
On the ISLE of DO-IT-LATER, things get postponed . . . put off . . . put aside.
Complacency becomes the fog that obscures our hopes and dreams and convinces us that it is much easier to just DO-IT-LATER. As we settle into our complacency, we run the risk of convincing ourselves that all is well, yet bemoan others as we watch them sail on by.
Much was the story of Meryl. Her coaching business was doing “fine” . . . it kept her busy for about 10 hours a week and brought in added income for the family. Her youngest just graduated from high-school, was working full-time during the Summer, and was headed off to college in the Fall.
She was starting to feel the anxious nudge in the core of her chest again. She had been ignoring it for years, as it continued to get louder and more frequent. “When are you going to finish your book, Meryl?”, it would ask. She would always find something “more important” which needed her attention. Until now. She decided it was time to start taking care of Meryl and turn her attention to growing her business.
Meryl found the courage to reach out and ask us for help. We created a plan which included a complete brand update and we paired her with one of our professional writing coaches who helped her finish her book. Meryl now uses her book as a key personal growth tool in her private mastermind groups. Her business has doubled in the past year and she has a waiting list of people wanting to work with her one-on-one.
Meryl jumped off the ISLE of DO-IT-LATER, learned to believe in herself, and trusted others to help her raise her level of expectations for what she wanted to accomplish. Her confidence soared and her business followed suit.
What have you put aside that you would LOVE to be doing right NOW?
What can you now START that you have continued to postpone?
What would you be doing, if you knew you could not fail?
Maybe it’s time to hop off the ISLE of DO-IT-LATER.
July 4thwas my mother’s birthday. As a former military wife, it was immensely important to her to fly the American flag and wear red-white-and-blue in honor of “the American Way”.
It was a much simpler time, in 1939. In this photo, my mother was 16 and on her way to the annual “Cherokee Strip Land Run” celebration in her home town of Ponca City, Oklahoma. Much like today’s county fairs, there would have been a carnival atmosphere with games, events and DANCES! If there was a party, a dance, or a celebration, it would have been on her calendar.
In September, 1893, the Cherokee Strip Land Run opened over 12,000 square miles of new territory to white settlers. A single gunshot at noon signaled the start of what has been billed as “the largest, most spectacular” competitive event in history. Historians say that between noon and sunset, some 40,000 homesteads of 160 acres each had been claimed. Seven counties were populated, numerous town sites had been established and what was to later become the state of Oklahoma (14 years later) began to take shape.
Fast-forward to 2018, and I hang the American flag on our front porch this week in memory of my Mother and how much it meant to her. But, as I do so, I also ask myself, “How would I currently define the American Way?” I find myself having to redefine what that means to ME.
For me, the American Way is a way of life. I want to live in a land of HOPE. The HOPE that dreams can come true for those born here, as well as for those who immigrate here. We are all immigrants, unless you are Native American. My ancestors came here from Germany, England, and Ireland. They traversed the Trail of Tears and married Cherokee natives. My bloodlines are a melting pot of many cultures, traditions and dreams.
So, on this 4thof July, it is my HOPE for you, and for all who enter this country looking for HOPE, that you are able to follow your dreams and live in HOPE and FREEDOM with your families. May you find joy, happiness and something to celebrate this week!
“Give me your tired, your poor,
your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.”
— From Emma Lazarus’ sonnet, New Colossus,
as it appears on the Stature of Liberty in New York Harbor.