A Sad Winter’s Tale
(Adapted to the tune of “Let it Snow”)
© December 2018, daviscreative.com
Oh, the cover outside is frightful,
And the copy inside is typo’d.
How little did this author know,
Shouting, “Let it go, let it go, let it go!”
He chose no editor for choppin’-
Out words not needed, nor poppin’.
He set his sights way down low,
Shouting, “Let it go, let it go, let it go!”
His mostly-bad copy does not read well,
And he just doesn’t see that it’s not gonna sell.
His first impression is a bad one to show,
As he shouts, “Let it go, let it go, let it go!”
We wanted him to publish and shine,
How we hate it when books are this bad.
The author’s convinced, “It’s fine!”
But, all the way home, we’ll be sad!
Our excitement is slowly dyin’
Cuz, my dear, we’d only be lyin’
If we say this book’s best in show.
So, we must “Let it go, let it go, let it go!”
Oh, the cover outside is frightful.
And the copy inside is typo’d.
How little did this author know,
Shouting, “Let it go, let it go, let it go!”
If you keep asking yourself whether or not you need to write a book, the answer is, “YES!”
- Expand your reach beyond your current city/state/region/country. If you want to expand your business beyond its current reach, a published book gives you a national platform. Today’s technology allows you to help clients around the corner, AND around the world.
- Solidify your brand with a professionally-produced book. Your book is one component of a strong brand, and if not done correctly, can backfire. If your book looks or reads as if written by a 5th grader (no offense meant to 5th graders) or comes across in ANY way as unprofessional, you automatically diminish the positive impact of your brand. Writing a BAD book is worse than not writing one at all.
- Increase Your Trust-ability. People buy from those whom they trust. Reading your professionally-written and designed book is the next best thing to meeting you in person. Your book allows someone to get to know you better and helps to create relationships beyond your current networking circles.
- Become a recognized AUTHOR-ity and establish/expand your credibility. There is no coincidence that AUTHOR is the root-word of AUTHORITY. If you are a professional service provider (accountant, financial service rep, lawyer, life coach, therapist, etc.) you get instant expertise status when you write a book and are immediately seen as the expert you truly are.
- Expand or create a movement. You’ve built your business by following your PASSION, aligning your PURPOSE, and aiming for those PROFITS. Whether you are FOR profit, or NON-profit, helping others is your mission. Writing a book to highlight your passion is the best way to call attention to your specific movement, enlist the interest of others, and motivate the masses to support you on your journey to helping others.
One of the questions I get asked by EVERY author is, “How do I launch my book?”
No two authors (let alone no two books) are ever alike, but the one thing they always have in common is the excitement around FINALLY publishing their book. It’s human nature to want to share the excitement with family, friends, followers, and potential new readers!
Start sharing the excitement around your book long before your book is available on Amazon.com or
in bookstores . . .
- Take to social media and share the latest happenings at least once a week . . . “Today, I met with my editor and we . . .” “Next week I’ll be receiving my Foreword from . . .”
- Use the 3-D and flat images you received from your book designer to build excitement about your book through your e-news and social media.
- Add your 3-D image to the back of your business card as a conversation starter.
- You can also ask your designer to make you a NEW business card in the shape of a bookmark and start handing those out at networking events.
- Have a 3” button made of your new book cover and wear it to networking events.
- Share the endorsements (via social media) you’ll be using on your cover and/or inside your book and cross-promote the people who are endorsing you.
- Set a date for your local book launch and start mapping out the details of the event.
- Draft your invitation list and determine how many books you need to have pre-printed.
- Will you have both paperback and hardback books available?
- Where will you have your launch party?
- What will be your menu?
- How much will you charge for admission to your launch party/networking event?
- Designate a nonprofit for the proceeds.
- Send private (or not-so-private) invitations to your guest list.
- Designate an RSVP date so you know your headcount.
- Pre-sign all pre-purchased books and wrap with a ribbon and name tag for the recipient.
- Have a few extra books on hand for people to buy (just in case).
- Mingle with your guests and let someone else handout all the books while a second person monitors the food and beverage table.
- ENJOY THE CELEBRATION of your amazing accomplishment!
There’s a M.A.G.I.C. Wand on my desk. It has been there so long, it has become part of the background. I believe the wand came from a childhood costume of my daughter’s — to which, over time, I have added a bit of embellishment, claiming it as my own. If anything, it serves as a reminder of my own personal MAGIC power within, and the innate abilities we each are given when we are born into this existence.
My M.A.G.I.C. Wand speaks to me.
Every now and then, a bit of light creates an extra sparkle which catches my eye, reminding me to tap into that inner power. My M.A.G.I.C. Wand sends me a burst of energy . . . a rush of confidence . . . an inner knowing that says, “You’ve GOT THIS!”
My M.A.G.I.C. Wand reminds me to . . .
- MOVE in a positive direction
- ALIGN my passion, purpose, vision, and values
- GROW in confidence with each new step
- IMAGINE the possibilities
- CREATE the best life I can imagine
A few people have asked if they could borrow my M.A.G.I.C. Wand . . . SURE!
Give me a call . . . “We’ll talk!”
A new pattern.
A shift in thinking.
The world of independent- and self-publishing is constantly changing.
We work with a variety of industry-preferred online vendors, and it sometimes seems as if their process or protocol changes weekly (if not daily). Over the past 15 years, we have learned to pivot on a moment’s notice and find new workarounds in the ever-changing publishing landscape.
In the past two months alone . . .
- CreateSpace merged with KDP, and we’ve been busy helping our authors transition their books over to KDP and a “new way” of doing things. A few have encountered some obstacles, but we’ve been there to hold their hands and find solutions.
- The government-regulated ISBN agency, Bowker, was hacked on November 5th, which completely shut down their website. Bowker created a temporary website to handle registrations while the old site is being rebuilt. You temporarily need to download a WORD document, fill it out online or by hand, AND fax (remember those!?) or scan/email it to Bowker.
We know our way around and we know how to pivot.
Our clients have learned to trust us to “find the best way”. We are immersed in the industry on a daily basis (sometimes 12-15 hours a day). Our propriety process helps transformational small-business owners write books, become published authors and monetize their passion while minimizing their investment.
If you find yourself in a tizzy . . . or merely in a state of exasperated confusion, give us a call. We can help.
We work with a lot of independent small business owners . . . life coaches, speakers, therapists, educators, etc. Most are in the helping and healing professions, giving of themselves and their expertise to help others find a happy, healthy way of living.
A common denominator which comes up quite often with these clients is how much to charge for their services. Because what they do comes SO easily to them, many are priced way too low, and end up giving their services away for free. They barely charge enough to meet their expenses.
Been there. Done that. Moving on.
Experience has told me that if I don’t value myself and my gifts (my unique expertise), neither will anyone else.
If you are ready to LEARN Your Value & EARN Your Value, give me a shout. I’d love to have a genuine conversation with you. Our conversation will include how to:
- ACKNOWLEDGE YOUR PASSION —WHAT are you really selling, and WHY?
- ALIGN YOUR PURPOSE —WHO you are selling to, and HOW do you offer them relief?
- ATTRACT MORE PROFITS— Connect your brand messaging with your programs and pricing structure to attract the interest of your target audience.
So, you’re writing a non-fiction book to help market your business. FANTASTIC!
Not sure how to organize it or where to start? We can help!
Most successful non-fiction business books use one of three starting points:
1. THE SOAPBOX: You have a vision . . . you have a mission . . . and you are willing to offer an opinion to engage others. Step up on that soapbox and shout your message to the world!
2. THE STRUGGLE: You’ve overcome extraordinary odds and have lived to tell the tale. Now is the time to share your hero’s journey, and inspire others who may feel knocked down and are struggling to find their way.
3. THE SYSTEM: You are in the business of helping others, and you’ve developed a fool-proof, step-by-step process or
plan of action. Use your book to outline your process and support the overall big-picture message of your business.
YOU HAVE THE INFORMATION OTHER PEOPLE NEED.
Now is the time to share it. Let others see you as the expert you truly are!
YOU HAVE THE IDEA.
We have the team to help. Let our professional writing coaches, editors, proofreaders and book designers bring your book to life!
- provides multi-faceted expertise in publishing, branding, target-audience identification, design, messaging, pricing and distribution
- employs veteran marketing professionals who are experienced and knowledgeable in book writing, book design, branding, publishing, and the marketing of small-business services
- aligns itself with expert resources for social media, websites, public relations, digital marketing, etc.
- offers bundled packages and programs to maximize an author’s investment
- exhibits a depth of knowledge of the publishing process and top industry standards; answers those questions you are not even aware of to be asking
- creates client relationships built upon the mentor/student model of trust, patience and willingness to share expertise
- freely shares process details, establishes goals, and manages time-lines to meet your deadlines
- rival those produced by the top 3 traditional publishers
- reflect professional best-practice industry recommendations
- be customized to meet your specific author platform, to better position yourself in your market
- minimize your investment
- maximize your return on royalties
- retain 100% of your profits
- secure ownership of your copyright
- access global distribution
- avoid self-publishing pitfalls
Just Be Your S.E.L.F.
I originally met Carol a few years ago at a networking event, and we soon found out we had much in common! We knew a lot of the same people, followed a lot of the same causes, and we both loved helping others.
Carol’s new book, “Just Be Your S.E.L.F.” is a testament to her life mission of helping us all grow into the self-fulfilled, ultimate “ME” we can each be!
Do you have a S.E.L.F.?
If you’re not yet Self-governed, Ego-aware, Leading in your life, and Free of self-imposed barriers, then it’s past time! The developmental journey of your earliest years offered you the chance at seven gifts—emotional and social capacities essential for healthy adult relationships. Yet, many of us leave those valuable gifts behind. If your friendships, romances, and family ties are full of drama, pain, or distance, it may be time for some “developmental do-overs.”
As you retrace those first seven years now, you will find that the raw ores of these 7 Childhood Treasures—and your S.E.L.F.—still lie waiting for you to uncover them.
- Learn how to trust, who to trust, and for what
- Separate loved ones’ words and actions from your painful story about them
- Let go of drama that is not about you
- Be a leader of your own life, with the ultimate freedom of embracing your choice, power, and responsibility for who you are
Even if you had pretty-good parents, who weren’t alcoholics or drug addicts, didn’t beat or berate you, and supported you in many ways, you may still struggle in relationships as an adult. The first seven years of childhood are full of potholes and pitfalls for new, young parents who are, usually, stumbling through those years, nearly-blind. Small wonder that even well-intentioned and loving parents create accidental damage in the most high-impact relationships they will ever have – with their young children.
Whether your parents traumatized or supported you, you may find that today’s relationships with them, or with your adult children, siblings, partner, friends, and coworkers are strained by silence, fighting, fear, or similar stresses. When you’re ready to release these struggles, it’s time to embrace the untapped potential in these connections with friends and loved ones. Retrace the original developmental plan for your early years and start living today as your Self-governed, Ego-Aware, Leading, Free S.E.L.F.!
Carol’s book is available via AMAZON.COM and everywhere books are sold.
You can reach Carol through her WEBSITE.
Branding, for a non-fiction author, is imperative. It is ALL ABOUT how you present your books and yourself as a writer, to the public. It’s what people think and believe about you. It’s what you stand for . . . as well as what you WON’T STAND for. It’s also all about building a tribe of people who think and feel the same way and want MORE of what you offer.
Why do I need a memorable Author Brand?
YOUR BRAND IS YOUR REPUTATION
“A brand is what other people say about you when you’re not in the room.” — Jeff Bezos
If you are an independent or self-published author, YOU are in charge of your marketing and your reputation. Quite often this can lead to a traditional publisher finding you and making you an offer. We’ve seen it happen with one of our clients!
What three words do you use the most when describing what you do? These words quite often can become the foundation of your brand and will help attract people who want to hear MORE about what you have to say.
A WELL-THOUGHT-OUT BRAND HELPS YOU SELL BOOKS
Branding is necessary if you’re serious about selling books. Even if you aren’t intentionally creating a “brand,” everything you say and do will leave a lasting impression with your current and prospective audience. It’s always better to take charge of your brand message up-front, vs. waiting until something negative happens and end up being in charge of cleaning up a bad situation.
Your professional brand will help you . . .
- craft an identity that accurately represents who you are
- be relatable to your audience and “accessible”
- cultivate name recognition
- strengthen your message and establish you within your area of expertise
How do I achieve a memorable Author Brand?
Start with knowing WHO you are and WHY you do what you do. Step up, speak up and be willing to stand out.
- WHAT is your topic of expertise?
- WHO are you and what makes you the expert in your field?
- WHY do you write about your topic?
- WHY should your reader want to know more?
- WHAT solutions do you offer your reader?
Optimize your potential for Author Brand success with a succinct Visual, Verbal and Virtual brand identity.
- Attract, retain and solidify your customer base
- Create a distinct identity and market position
- Project a professional, innovative image
- Develop greater visibility for your business
Our clients love what they do and have built successful brands around helping others. If you are ready to take the next step in building your Author Brand Connection, give us a call, 888-598-0886.